You may have seen something about morning exercises if you follow me on Twitter. And once I threatened to write about those exercises. You’re in luck. I’m writing about them. Now. Note that you can choose to do them too, or try them. Be careful and smart. See what you can and can’t do. I’m not taking any responsibility for your body; it’s yours, not mine. You know it best.
What do I do on such a morning?
- Push-ups. According to Google the first thing that comes to mind is a bra that lifts breasts. That is not what I do. I do the kind where you lay on the ground and push yourself up.
There is an alternative if you can’t handle these (no shame in that), and that’s to rest on your knees instead of your toes:
In the knee-case I would advise a rolled-up towel under your knees so you don’t damage your knee caps. I do 15 push-ups. If you feel like starting, do what you can. Don’t overdo it. You’ll hurt yourself and give up. That’s not the point of exercising.
- Next I do 20 arm swings. Not up and down, but left to right, 10 to each side. Can’t find a proper picture but it’s easy: raise your arms in front of you. Swing them left, swing them right, sort of like air-golf without the club. Don’t do it fast, don’t overstretch. just swing them ‘around’ yourself, left, right, left, right, etc. Remember to turn your upper body into the direction you swing in. This loosens up your spine. Also lift your right heel when you turn left and vice versa. No need to crack something.
- Then I do 15 squats. The trick is to keep your knees from extending over your toes and to keep a straight back:
- After that I do reach-ups:
10 repetitions, so 10 up and 10 down. Again, don’t over-extend. Go as far as your body will let you. You’ll feel improvement soon if you keep it up. There’s no obligation to actually touch the ground! If you can, fine. If you can’t, fine. You may get there if you keep up the exercise.
- Last of the torment: sit-ups. I do 15 at the moment (started with 5!)
Getting back up is the hard part. If you can’t make that the way she up there does, hook your feet beneath a couch or so, which will help you in getting up. No shame in that.
So there you have it. My morning exercises. Yes, all the images here have dressed people in them. That doesn’t mean you have to be dressed to do them. It’s up do you.